In this lesson you will learn that there are various ways to communicate electronically. E-mail is just one form of electronic communication but there are others. It is important to know which communication should be used for different purposes? For example, it's not always a good idea to send a text or record your ideas in a chat room. Knowing WHAT to use and WHEN to use it is something all students need to understand.
Various Kinds of Electronic Communication
Read the article titled: What’s the difference between e-mail, IM, Chat and Discussion Forums?
Copy questions 1-6 into a Text Entry wiki and use the information in the article to answer them. When you are finished writing your answers, you can submit the assignment to Canvas. Remember to write in complete sentences, use good spelling, grammar, and punctuation.
Copy everything below this
1. Is e-mail real time or non-real time messaging?
2. Is instant messaging the same as chat?
3. How many people can participate in a chat room?
4. What are some of the differences between chat and IM (instant messaging).
5. What are some of the similarities between chat and IM (instant messaging).
6. If you are interested in art and you want to talk to other people interested in art, what form of electronic communication might be best to use?
7. If you wanted to get regular information or daily updates about the best places to surf, what would be the best electronic communication to use?